From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 2011 09:11:11 -0400
        The expected appearance of good numbers of early shorebirds is only the
beginning at this neat new spot. Or maybe I should say "old," since it's
largely a restoration of what this place looked like 200 years ago. That
is the rationale of the small new bison herd released just across the
road last fall. They were the top mammal in this prairie area back then.
        I got a lot of mail about where and what the heck this wetland is, so
here are some details. As I hear, a lot more work will be done here over
the coming year, on behalf of wildlife and respectful observers. The
drain tiles are gone, so the wild hydrology is returning. The land will
continue to settle. As for vegetation, all you can see now is a cover of
winter wheat to hold soil while carefully selected native plant seed,
all collected from the area, takes hold during the coming growing
season. The Parks system will eventually be providing access to
observers to the area via trails and boardwalks, maybe a mound or
observation tower. This new 800-acre unit, part of Battelle Darby Metro
Park, is itself larger than most of the other Parks in the county. And
if you raise your scope a bit, you can see the skyscrapers of downtown
Columbus in the background.
        Right now the area is not easy to bird, and most folks will probably
choose to await better access. I see two pull-offs on the *west* side of
Darby Creek Drive (this is the main north-south drag through the Park,
running parallel to the Creek; this winter's short-eared owl spot is
along here, as is the drive into the HQ) that seem safe for parking
(there is a bike trail nearby, too). Old DeLorme 67:A7. Traffic on the
Drive can be fast and dangerous, so stay clear. Spotting scopes are
necessary, as much habitat is half a mile away. Many ponds are obscured
by the terrain. Afternoon light will generally be better. Parking at the
silos on the east side I would regard as off limits, as I doubt they are
Parks property at present.
        So right now you can get some distant looks at this very promising
area. It probably won't be completely accessible till next year, but
progress should be made this year. The eventual layout of the ponds and
marshes and prairie areas will be led by nature's demands, with some
help from managers.
        Some history. If I recall correctly, twenty years ago there was a loud
outcry when the USF&WS proposed a 55,000-acre Little Darby Creek
National Wildlife Refuge nearby. A small bunch of vocal local yokels
awoke, invoking a "land-grab" and made enough noise that the Feds backed
away. See
http://www.fws.gov/midwest/planning/LittleDarby/ldarbyfinalreport.pdf
Now the whole Darby Creek watershed remains in constant peril from
development, mostly from developers courting would-be country squires
who like the area so much they want to plant their own McMansions, each
enisled in its acre of trimmed grass, in the middle of it. The lands the
Parks has purchased from willing sellers over the years are near this
area. Aided by tax money the majority of the County's voters have wisely
supplied, this area actually looks a lot better than a typical NWR
property: it carefully restores primeval local hydrology and vegetation
and does not allow hunting or trapping, for starters.
        Anyway, keep an eye on this spot in its early stages if you want, but
put safety first along this road before the access is ready. More
improvements will be evident soon, and I predict we'll be very proud of
this wetland.
Bill Whan
Columbus