Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2011 19:10:12 -0400

It’s  turning out to be an interesting spring migration. April has had rain
almost  every day in our neck of the woods so Linda and I jump at
opportunities to get  out when there is a dry day. Today we spent the morning at
Blendon Woods Metro  Park in northeast Franklin County and the afternoon in the
Hoover Nature  Preserve. We ran into some birders we know with similar hopes
for a productive  day. We were not disappointed.
Although  it was windy much of the day the birds were fairly active and
often staying low  giving an eye level view. There was a very cooperative
Worm-eating Warbler out  at the east blind. It had gorgeous color and stayed in
the open for prolonged  periods to everyone’s delight. Other warblers along
the Pond Trail included  loads of Yellow-rumped which you just had to check
out as mixed I with them were  Black & White, Palm, Black-throated Green,
Ovenbird, Northern Parula, Yellow  and Hooded. We also found Scarlet Tanagers,
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers and  Yellow-throated Vireo mixed in.
We  walked the road back to the Dogwood Reservable Area where we ran into a
flurry  of warbler activity. The edges of the parking lot held Prairie,
Palm, Black  & White, Black-throated Green, Northern Parula and Yellow-rumped
Warblers.
We  started down the Hickory Ridge Trail where we found a Blue-winged
Warbler and  then ran for cover as the clouds let loose.
After  a break for lunch we headed up to the Hoover Nature Preserve to
check on the  status of the Prothonotary Warblers and the nest boxes. We first
checked Area L  off Dustin Road where we were greeted by several
Prothonotaries. The small  peninsula is a great migrant trap and there were
Black-throated Green,  Yellow-throated, Palm, Black & White and Yellow-rumped Warblers
along with  the Prothonotaries. Also present were Spotted Sandpipers, Cliff
and Bank  Swallows, and Ruby-crowned Kinglets.
Our  last stop was Area N off Front Street in Galena. This is one of my
favorite  places to bird as it is ground zero for Prothonotary Warblers. No to
disappoint  they easily ran into double digits late into the afternoon.
Other warblers we  saw included Northern Parula, Black-throated Green,
Yellow-throated, Palm, Black  & White, Louisiana Waterthrush, Yellow, and
Yellow-rumped. We saw several  American Coot and Spotted Sandpiper along the creek.
Then we encountered  Baltimore Orioles (who says blackbirds can’t look great),
followed by a  Red-headed Woodpecker and Pileated Woodpeckers at the nest
hole. We saw multiple  Great Crested Flycatchers, several of which came close
and basically put on a  show for us. Normally high in the tree tops, these
came down to eye level.  Finally, the Osprey are maintaining their own at the
nest platform.
Charlie  Bombaci
Hoover  Nature Preserve