From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2011 05:07:15 -0700
I went searching for waterbirds (mostly) yesterday afternoon.  First I checked out the Bandy Rd. area in extreme NW Columbiana Co.  The fields weren't as flooded as I had hoped, just small wet spots here and there.  I didn't find any shorebirds.  Next I looked in Mahoning Co. at the Rte. 46/Calla Rd. area in Green/Beaver Twps.  Found there were 7 lesser yellowlegs, solitary sandpiper, and dunlin.  Next I went to check Pine L. and Evans L. in E Mahoning Co.  At Pine L. were trumpeter swan (not countable), 50 ruddy ducks, a road-killed male ring-necked pheasant, c. loon, pied-billed grebe, 55 double-crested cormorants, ad. bald eagle, and 300+ swallows (mostly tree).  Evans L. had 2 n. shovelers, red-breasted merganser, 10 ruddy ducks, 9 c. loons, pied-billed grebe, spotted sandpiper, belted kingfisher, and more swallows.  Around E Mahoning Co. the last few days, birds of local interest were FOS gray catbird, c. yellowthroat, savannah sparrow, and
 Baltimore oriole.  At my Poland Twp. feeders have been red-breasted nuthatch, up to 6 rose-breasted grosbeaks, purple finches, and 20+ Am. goldfinches (numbers augmented by migrants?).  Late in the day yesterday I went up to Conneaut harbor.  Along the way I saw Am. kestrels at Pymatuning and Pierpont in Ashtabula Co.  Highlights at Conneaut were:  3 lesser scaup, 80 red-breasted mergansers, osprey, 20 Am. coots, 3 spotted sandpipers, 30 Bonaparte's gulls, a third cycle LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL, 8 great black-backed gulls, 132 Caspian terns, 2 Forster's terns, chimney swifts, and belted kingfisher.  L. Erie water level is pretty high, so habitat is good there now and likely will be later this year.  All roads are open there, and driving out to the spit is no problem at present.  Bird on, Craig