From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2011 03:09:11 -0400
I had a little time to visit a few areas around this south Columbus suburb this morning as the weather cleared.  I hiked around the Blacklick bikepath south of US 33, and also birded Cruiser Pond and the flooded fields along old Hamilton Rd and Shannon Rd.  Birds were similar to what I found at nearby 3-Creeks Park yesterday, with the notable addition of wetland species.  Highlights in a bit over an hour of birding included:

Great Blue Heron - 1 pair with nest, Cruiser Pond
Wood Ducks - 2 pair, Cruiser Pond
Blue-winged Teal - 2 pair, Old Hamilton fields
Green-winged teal - 1 pair, Cruiser Pond
Redhead - 6+, Old Hamilton fields
Lesser Scaup - 5, Old Hamilton fields
Ring-necked Duck - 2, Old Hamilton fields
Bufflehead - 3+ Shannon Road ponds
Amer.Kestrel - 1, Shannon Road ponds
Kildeer - 6+, Old Hamilton fields
Lesser Yellowlegs - 8, Old Hamilton fields
Greater Yellowlegs - 4, Old Hamilton fields
Wilson's Snipe - 1, Old Hamilton fields
Pileated Woodpecker - 1, Blacklick bikepath
Tree Swallows - flock of 40+, Shannon Road ponds
Winter Wren - 2 singing, Blacklick bikepath
Golden-cr.Kinglet - 4, Blacklick bikepath
Brown Thrasher - 2 singing, Blacklick bikepath
E.Towhee - 6, Blacklick bikepath
Field Sparrows - 2 sing, Blacklick bikepath
Fox Sparrow - 3, Blacklick bikepath
White-thr.Sparrows - 25+, Blacklick bikepath
Junco - 6+, Blacklick bikepath
E.Meadowlark - 1 singing, Cruiser Pond