From:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2011 16:31:56 -0400
2:40 at the boat launch - 40*
strong 15 mph winds from NE

Creeped up in my car to LOTS of birds near corner
(trying not to scare them away, so did some
looking from inside car)
These are the birds seen looking east toward
Dike 14 and north out into the bay -

Horned Grebe - 1
Eared Grebe - 1
Red-breasted Mergansers - 100+
Double Crested Cormorants - 30+
Blue-winged Teal - 3 (2 males)
Wood Ducks - 3 (2 males)
Canada Geese - 25+
Gulls (flying, swimming andsleeping in green between parking
     lot and Dike 14)
     200+
     20+ Great Black-backed Gulls
     80+% Ring-billed - the rest Herring

On the rocks or in trees above the "tire" on Dike 14's
shore were -
Great Egrets - 12
Great Blue Herons - 8

2:55 over to west side of Inner City Yacht Club -
everything here was seen from the dock area
south to the inner breakwall

100+ RBMs
20-ish GCCs
Mallards - 4
Canada Geese - 8
Mute Swan -
Horned Grebes - 2
Gulls on the docks and posts today
     15+ Great Black-backed gulls
     100+ of RBs and Hs (RB 80%+)
     NO black faced gulls today

In the farthest NE corner of the breakwall
(where it curves back toward the shore - seemed
to be the best "hiding place" today from the wind ) was -
Horned Grebes - 18
Buffleheads - 2
Lesser Scaup - 4
Hooded Mergansers - 2

Out north of the breakwall toward open water
(more congregated tighter to Dike 14 today as
very few birds truly in "open water")
RBMs - 150+
GCCs - 30+
Gulls - 75-ish (nothing out of ordinary)

buster