From:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2011 22:04:44 +0000
I spent a couple hours this afternoon at some central Columbus birding
hotspots. Highlights follow (Detailed directions to many of these locations
can be found at the Ohio Ornithological Society web page, while Google will
likely make up for the rest):

Greenlawn Cemetery: Lots of activity! at the Pit, I had 1 brown thrasher,
about 12 golden-crowned kinglets, two yellow-bellied sapsuckers, and a
chipping sparrow, among loads of dark-eyed juncos and a smattering of
white-throated sparrows. At the Bridge, I had four more thrashers, a hermit
thrush, four fox sparrows, another sapsucker, and two winter wrens. There
were a few towhees and song sparrows about as well. I had an adult Bald
Eagle circling over the cemetery as well. I also noted a female cardinal
carrying nesting material. I had no warblers though.

Scioto Audubon Metro Park: the Scioto River is still pretty high, so the
only water birds present were cormorants, geese, and a ring-billed gull. I
checked out the wetland development area as well, but only managed to turn
up a mallard and a coot. I did have an Eastern Meadowlark in this area,
though.

Preston Road, Bexley: I did a drive-by for the Yellow-crowned Night Herons,
which did not disappoint - two in the larger nest and a third perched in the
tree.

Jeffrey Park, Bexley: Loaded with robins, I couldn't find any other thrushes
however. I did have two brown creepers and what must have been a good dozen
sapsuckers though, and there was a male wood duck on the river. I also
observed a pair of carolina wrens gathering nesting material.

Good birding,
Andy Sewell
Columbus, Ohio