From:
Sherrie Duris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2011 05:46:11 -0600
Maumee Bay State Park has been a haven for owls t

Birders-

Maumee Bay State Park has been a haven for owls this last week.  Great Horned and Screech can be found all year round, and usually during the winter months - Long-eared, Short-eared, and Saw-whets can be a hit or miss - but usually they are tallied on the Toledo CBC with enough people looking for them.

Thursday evening I had FOUR species - A nesting Great Horned, a vocal Screech behind the nature center, two Short-eared Owls flying over the golf course, and six Long-eared Owls in their usual spot in the northwest corner of the park.  Monday I had a roosting Saw-whet in some thick tangles along the paved bike path not far from the sledding hill.  It seems like lately, on any given day - scanning the thicker tangles along the paved bike path or intertwining grass paths pays off.  The birds are not going to be easily accessible for photography and will likely flush if distance is not kept.  However, if you would just like to see them - Maumee Bay is a one stop shop!

Just getting the word out there in case anyone is wanting to add any of the owls as a life bird, year bird, state bird, or even a day list - or would just like to see an owl!

Good Birding!

Sherrie Duris

Webmaster/Field Trip Coordinator

 Toledo Naturalists' Association