From:
Bob Conlon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Conlon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2011 21:08:11 -0400
Bill Whan and I spent most of today in the field.  We started at Indian Lake, where there were 6 Caspian Terns on the beach.  Next stop was the St. Mary,s Fish Hatchery and discovered many drained impoundments,but no shore birds other than several Killdeer.  Next to the boat club at Grand Lake St, Mary’s, where we struck out on the Long-tailed Duck.  We raised our spirits somewhat by going into Celina and driving around until we spotted several Eurasian Collared Doves.  Our travel plan took us next to Now and Manley Rds. in Mercer County to search likely fields for Smith’s Longspurs.  In about 2 hours we found hundreds of Lapland Longspurs in splendid breeding plumage.  Pretty shabby results so far; and besides that, we were chilled by the biting east wind.  But HOLD ON, our luck was about to change!

After spending about 15 minutes dithering about what to do next, we decided to roll the dice and go to Killdeer Plains.  Bill set a zigzag course, and I said just tell me where to turn.  About 75 minutes later we arrived at the upground reservoir and, reluctantly decided to take a quick look to verify that it didn’t contain anything.  Before I could open my door, Bill shouted “There’s a Red-necked Grebe!”  Then, “And an Eared Grebe.”  Shortly thereafter I found a Red-throated Loon trailing 2 Common Loons in front of the island. In addition, the reservoir held several hundred Ruddy Ducks; 60-80 Scaup of both species; a total of 7 Common Loons; Pied-billed and Horned Grebes; a dozen or more Red-breasted Mergansers; and about a dozen Buffleheads.  It was time to leave, but we made one more stop, and were successful at finding the Northern Shrike on C71 East of T115.

Bob Conlon
Columbus