From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2011 19:33:09 -0700
I made a quick check at the Deer Creek Reservoir and wetlands today. Previously reported Red-necked Grebe and Surf Scoters were not seen.

The reservoir held many ducks of a few species ~400 Ruddy Ducks, ~200 Lesser Scaups, and 85 Buffleheads topped the list with Blue-winged Teals and Red-br Mergansers present in smaller numbers. Hundreds of D-c Cormorants were also there, but Common Loons, and Pied-billed and Horned Grebes were only represented by a few individuals each. Joining an unimpressive number of Bonaparte's Gulls was one FORSTER'S TERN. The reservoir is now completely full and there is no longer any suitable shorebird habitat available.

In the flooded field along Mouser Road just SE of the intersection with Dick Road there was one AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER. Others were heard, but I couldn't see them. They're too well camouflaged against the wet dirt and corn stubble. This area has been reliable for Am Golden-Plovers in April over the years.

Even though the Red-necked Grebe appears to have departed, the wetlands still hold a large number and variety of waterfowl. An AMERICAN BITTERN was again flushed in the southern area, probably the same bird I saw there last week.

The only notable new passerine arrival on territory in the past few days (mainly in state park land) is Chipping Sparrow, which is now widely distributed and singing in suitable habitat. The riparian corridor along the Deer Creek north of the reservoir hosted no new arrivals that I could detect in the afternoon, although migrant Golden-crowned Kinglets and Brown Creepers were numerous.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6027 (20110408) __________