From:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 2011 16:45:56 -0400
I hit Gordon Park this morning @ 7:45
VERY cool  - 36* with very chilly breeze out of NW

Looking from boat launch in every direction until 8:10
1 Eared Grebe
20 Horned Grebes (slightly more females than males)
1 Eared Grebe
1 Pied-billed Grebe
10 Lesser Scaup
8 Mallards
1 Hooded Merganser
150-ish Red-breasted Mergansers ( males to females  2 : 1 )
Gull, gulls everywhere
     mostly Ring-billed and Herring  - hundreds BUT
     mix in at least 10 Boanparte's and a few Lesser and Greater Black-backed Gulls
Mix in 10 or so DB Mergansers flying about

@ 8:10 headed west of Inner City Yacht Club and walked out
the breakwall (stopped where docks of ICYC ended
1 Mute Swan
7 Horned Grebes
1 Pied-billed Grebe (probably same as previously seen)
The same gulls as seen previousy but more frequent fly-bys by Bonies and
    both black-backeds
There are 3 nesting Canadas with one nest already showing 7 eggs

Looking out to the north there were MUCH fewer birds than any other time
this week (but it's the only AM visit i made) - the RBMs numbered around 100
with no birds "out there" - no far away birds.
The longer we stayed the larger the lines of DB Mergansers grew
     the longest line reaching 24. Numbers starting to reach 100 now.

Headed back to the launch area @ 8:35 and stayed 'til 9:00.
With the aid of a borrowed spotting scope and knowledgeable
     fellow birders we were able to ID and get great looks at the
     birds we saw earlier and the new listed here
10 Lesser Scaup
6 Greater Scaup
10 Bonies sunning on the docks
Canada Geese are starting to land in the bay (25-ish)
2 Fly over Great Blue Herons
A flock of Red-winged Blackbirds (15-ish)
1 Lesser Black-backed Gull
RBM numbers starting to grow in bay - maybe 100 inside now
12 Mallards (all paired up)
couple hundred RN + H Gulls
driving out of lot i saw 2 Killdeer

Buster Banish

note - first Turkey since last fall seen in backyard
today in Gates Mills. some of the male goldfinches
are starting to appear in their new spring coats at
the feeder.