From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2011 12:28:25 -0700
I checked Evans L. and Pine L. for about an hour each this morning.  I didn't find any of the rare birds from the weekend.  Waterbird numbers were low except for cormorants and ruddy ducks.  Evans L. had ring-necked ducks, lesser scaups, red-breasted mergansers, ruddy ducks, c. loons, pied-billed grebes, horned grebes, 200 double-crested cormorants, Am. coots, Caspian tern, n. rough-winged swallows, and tree & barn swallows.  Around the south end I found a red-tailed hawk on a nest, while sitting in my car scoping it out 3 wild turkeys walked into view.  At Pine L. were gadwall, pair of greater scaup, lesser scaups, buffleheads, red-breasted mergansers, 145 ruddy ducks, 4 c. loons, pied-billed grebes, horned grebe, 125 double-crested cormorants, Bonaparte's gull, 100 tree swallows, and barn swallows.  Next I went to Beaver Twp.  At the lake behind Avion were wood duck, lesser scaup, 35 ruddy ducks, a pale-headed imm. common loon, Am. coots, 2
 Forster's terns, 2 chimney swifts, and 4 purple martins (nests there).  I checked fields along Calla Rd. from New Buffalo Rd. west to SR 46 in Green Twp. next since it was raining again.  There were some wet spots along Calla Rd. and Rte. 46 south of Calla which produced 10 blue-winged teal and 3 greater yellowlegs.  I also checked the Lynn/Bassinger Rd. area in Beaver Twp. but it was too dry.  Lastly, a purple finch was at my Poland Twp. feeders again today.  Craig Holt