From:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:05:22 -0400
2:30 at boat launch
47*  decent, but cool breeze from west
VERY LITTLE TODAY!!
in the bay area were the following

Canada Geese - 22
Northern Rough-winged Swallow - 1
Barn Swallow - 1
Great Blue Heron - 4
Red-tailed Hawk - 1
Lesser Scaup - 3
Double Crested Cormorants - 4
Mallards - 4
Red-breasted Mergansers - 12
Turkey Vultures - 10
Belted Kingfishers - 2
     one of the birds sat on a branch on a tree
     on the breakwall for at least 3 min w/out
     moving (wondered why) - answered when
     joined by the "dude" who "joined" her for
     all of 5 seconds   ---   watch, you never know!!!
Gulls flying/swimming in the bay area today
     Ring-billed - 15-ish
     Herring - 2-ish

2:50 to west of ICYC - seen on walk out breakwall inward
American Coot - 1
Red-breasted Mergansers - 2
Barn Swallows - 2
Gulls
     RBs - 6
     Herring - 1
          only 2 on the posts today

Open water
DCCs - 15-ish
RBMs - 10-ish
Gulls -
     RBs - 12-ish
     H - 0
     Bonaparte's - 1
          according to my Sibley it was
          1st year between winter/spring
          - had a number of great looks!

Of note - in my backyard which is really
where Cuy, Lake and Geauga Counties come
together - I have had Chipping Sparrows since
late yesterday, Purple Finches since Monday (first
since I moved here in 2001 - seen with Redpolls),
the neighborhood Red-shouldered Hawk is starting
his hourly screaming and i am hoping that my juncos
will stay with me all summer for the third year in a row!
Still no chimney swifts here or in "the hood", where i teach.

buster