From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 19:02:31 -0400
I have just posted two photos on the Ohio Birding Forum in the Members Photo Gallery at the OOS website _http://www.ohiobirds.org_.  On Saturday, 03/12/11, I observed the Common Raven in Knox County loosely affiliated with an apparent family flock of American Crows along College Hill Road just beyond Hostetler in an open field on the left and then flying north across College Hill just before township highway 309 (Koppert Road).  Shortly thereafter, I found the Common Raven sitting in the woods north of College Hill Road just before the Koppert Road intersection.  The Common Raven was being dive-bombed by an American Crow.  The raven took flight east out of the woods across an open field on the north side of College Hill Road followed closely by the same crow.  The raven appeared to be carrying something in its bill.  I first thought it might be food.  I quickly grabbed my camera, jumped out of my vehicle and fired off a few shots.  The photos show the definitive ID features of a Common Raven and that the bird was carrying a stick!!  This bird appeared to be starting nesting behavior!

Sorry about this belated post.  Below is my very brief original post sent from my Droid in the field.

Jay G. Lehman
Cincinnati, OH