From:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 19:32:32 -0700
Hello All,
    A full carload of us from the Columbus area arrived at the Woodsfield residence this afternoon where the Bullock's Oriole has been coming to a suet feeder since yesterday. The bird was found quickly in nearby trees and later came into the feeder a couple of times before other birders started arriving. It was later found in the tall trees on the N side of the house and had not returned to the feeders when we left at about 6:00 PM. Although the bird was some distance away, scope views of the bird were quite good. Hopefully this Ohio rarity will stay in the area for awhile so that others may have an opportunity to see it. Based on a couple of e-mails I've received since my earlier post today, some people are having some difficulty accessing the Toledo list-serve posts that include contact information and pictures of this bird. Try going to rarebird.org  and from the front page, select "Statewide". On that page you should find subject lines that
 include "Bullock's Oriole". I have also copied/pasted one of these posts here, for your convenience.
     Woodsfield is about 30 miles East of The Wilds which is in SE Ohio. Take I-70 E to SR 800, then turn South to Woodsfield (23 miles). The residence is about 1 mile S of Woodsfield. Please contact the homeowner for permission and address.

Best of luck,
Dan

Bullock's Oriole information from a Toledo list-serve post, earlier today: (Call the number below for directions)

My sister and brother-in-law in Woodsfield have had a male Bullock's Oriole coming to their suet feeder since yesterday.  They described it to me just now as they watched it feed 30 feet from them and as I tried to convince them that it must be a Baltimore Oriole, which can be abundant in their area.  They were adamant that it wasn't a Baltimore Oriole.  They described it as having a mostly brilliant orange head with a black stripe running from the beak through the eye to the nape and wings that are more white than black -- in fact, mostly white when seen in flight.

They would welcome birders.  They're located one mile south of Woodsfield, Monroe County, off SR 800.  Watch out for Wild Turkeys and deer on the entrance road -- they stand their ground.  The phone number is 740-472-1404.  I'm in Indiana or I'd be there now to verify the sighting (always have a tiny grain of salt...).  This is the same location where April Sterling and I photographed a Common Raven a couple of winters ago.

Bill Murphy, Fishers, Indiana
www.TrinidadBirding.com

Dan Sanders
42 Scioto St