From:
Gabe Hostetler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gabe Hostetler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 2011 17:31:24 -0700
On Friday evening I observed a Red-throated Loon on Nimisila Reservoir from the
boat launch area off Christman Rd. Looking northwest, I watched it as it mostly
stayed in the vicinity of a duck blind that looks like a straw bale in the
channel between an island and a weed bed. The loon was submerged more often than
on the surface, often disappearing for literally minutes at a time. It was the
only loon on the lake that I could find; its small bill and white face were
quite distinctive.

From 11:00-1:00 I walked the railroad tracks to the east of Wright Marsh in
Wayne County. I could not locate any scoters, either Surf or Black. Nine
Bonaparte's Gulls, a couple with their black hoods intact, were fun to watch. I
also was also happy to observe at quite close range a Horned Grebe in full
breeding plumage. Wow. Stunning bird. Most surprising, on the return to my car I
am almost positive I heard the strident teacher, teacher, teacher song of an
Ovenbird from across the creek to the east. I say almost positive because the
date seems really early. If I were to hear the same song from the same spot a
couple of weeks from now, I would have no doubt about what I had heard.
Unfortunately, it only sang the one sequence. I've tried to convince myself that
it was just a titmouse that I heard. But I know what a titmouse sounds like, and
there ain't no way that song came from a titmouse.

Gabe Hostetler
Wooster