From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 2011 23:49:35 -0400
I birded around Deer Creek reservoir today, and **may** have had 2 flyover
Smith's Longspurs (not sure what else they could have been).  PLEASE feel
free to point out other species that might fit what I saw and heard, as I've
never seen Smith's before. Details on other species are given below.

I was heading back to Columbus after a bit of rain, when I saw a Black
Vulture land in a tree near Road D-58 and Post Rd. at the north end of the
wildlife area.  I wanted to get a photo (my first for the year), so I turned
down Post Rd then onto D-58, parking before the small stream crossing.
While outside my vehicle digiscoping the vulture, I heard what sounded like
an excited chattering that I first thought sounded like a Carolina Wren --
but it immediately struck me as "different".  Scanning the treetops
for the bird,
I realized that the bird was flying over.  I caught a brief glimpse of 2
sparrow sized birds just as the vocalizations changed.  After a few of these
chattery outbursts, the calls changed to what sounded more reminiscent of
the rattle call of a Lapland Longspur -- my attention was now fully on the
two birds.  While I was only able to see one of the birds in any detail,
what I saw was a pale orangish body (the body color reminded me of
Black-headed Grosbeaks, but more pale/creamy -- similar to Carolina Wren)
nondescript wings (no markings were noticed, overall pale), and a tail that
had a white border which immediately reminded me of an American Pipit tail.

Now, this is somewhat embarrassing, but despite reading Bill's email last
night, I hadn't yet taken the time to listen to what Smith's sound like and
I didn't even remember what they looked like (!!!) save the black and white
head of the male!  After checking Sibley just after the flyover then later
checking the web and listening to recordings of Smith's and other longspurs
(and American Pipits) I was at a loss for what else they might have been
besides Smith's Longspurs.  Comments/criticisms/questions are welcomed.

The vocalizations I heard sounded consistent with the rattles at the end of
the recording here:
        http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Smiths_Longspur/sounds
and the rattle call in the middle of this recording:
        http://macaulaylibrary.org/audio/flashPlayer.do?id=131481

I should note that the two birds flew over the field south of the
intersection of Post Rd. and D-58, and upon scanning the field for the birds
found they held a flock of American Pipits.  If anyone goes looking (or is
just birding the area) this might be a place worth checking out.

Other Deer Creek birds of note:

At the wetlands off of Egypt Pike Rd., the RED-NECKED GREBE was barely
visible with a scope at the far end of the lake south of the dike.
From the SP Marina, there were 2 CASPIAN TERNS, 2 Lesser and 1 Greater
Yellowlegs, and a small flock of Pectoral Sandpipers all along the shore
near the inlet.
Post Rd. eventually turned up 2 BLACK VULTURES were flying with Turkey
Vultures.

Good birding,
Paul Hurtado