Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:07:14 -0400
This time of year I'm like an expectant father, pacing, pacing and waiting
for the arrival of the first Prothonotary Warblers at my nest box trail at
the  north end of Hoover Reservoir in Delaware County. The SSW winds last
night  brought in the first males. I checked along the old roadbed at Area N
in Galena  this morning and as soon as I neared the water I heard them call,
their "Sweet,  Sweet, Sweet, Sweet" ringing in the air. The first male I
spotted was at the  area just beyond the first dip in the road. I phished and
he flew right in to  greet me. I later looped along the swamp forest over to
Big Walnut Creek and  then back to the car along the path that follows the
creek. This netted 7 more  males. Hopefully their buddies will arrive before
the scheduled visit by the  Ohio Young Birders Club on Saturday.

I'll skip the common expected species and just list the others that are of
more interest.

Hooded Merganser (nester?)
Spotted Sandpiper
Osprey (at the platform)
Bald Eagle - 1 immature
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Louisiana Waterthrush
Yellow-rumped Warbler (high numbers everywhere)
Hermit Thrush
Brown Creeper (2 - the nesting pair returned?)
Red-headed Woodpecker
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Barred Owl
Pileated Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker (pair at nest hole)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (they seemed as thick as locust

With the return of the Prothonotary Warblers I declare that my spring has
arrived.

Wishing everybody a great spring of birding and may you finally see the
elusive species that has been your nemesis for years.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve