Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2011 21:33:12 -0400
Sitting here at the computer reading o-birds messages when suddenly a male great horned owl booms his call from the woodlot at the back of my yard. I turn down the rock & roll to confirm, and there it is again. Acting on a tip from a friend, who claims to have successfully done this in his yard, I gulp down my dortmunder gold (which I just happened to have fresh in my hand) until it was about half full. Half empty will not work by the way. I then blew across the mouth of the bottle with the best duplicative rhythm I could muster. Lo and behold, he flies into the tree 10' from my back door and booms again. And again. Unfortunately, he was up a little too high to offer a toast to breeding season.

Happy (hiccup) birding

Craig

Olmsted Twp.