From:
matt erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
matt erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2011 11:02:15 -0400
Hayward and All,

I have a love for birds and for iPhone apps!  So that means I have used most
of the birding apps out there ... here are my thoughts for what it is worth:

1. Audubon Apps - I was the most excited when I saw these and the most
disappointed after using them.  There are free versions of all the Audubon
apps that include a small sample set of each type, like 10 birds or 10
trees.  I have only used the free versions.  These seem much more artistic
than diagnostic.  Very pretty pictures of the trees for instance ... with no
close ups of the leaves or the bark.  Not very helpful to me.

2. Sibley Bird App - The content is exactly what you expected.  Great
transition of the Sibley book into an app.  It has two bonus features that I
LOVE ... first there are 3-5 song clips for each bird.  This is very useful
for playing in the field and trying to figure out what bird is calling.
 Also, you can select two birds to compare at one time.  Especially in
landscape mode this is really useful to compare two closely related birds
visually.  Sibley includes several illustrations for each bird, adults,
immatures, male/females, he pretty much covers all the options.  So being
able to compare first year gulls against each other is cool.  The
illustrations are not "zoomable" but in landscape mode fill the screen so as
not to even need to zoom.

3. National Geographic Handheld Birds - I think this app was ported over
from the old Palm app that National Geographic used to sell as is ... it
just feels old.  This app also includes songs.  I love the Nat Geo books
because of the beautiful AND diagnostic artwork.  The iPhone app seems to
have very old artwork ... and is not very good quality.  On my iPhone4 with
the "Retina" display the illustrations are small and show pixilation and
make you want to zoom in to see the bird.  But the illustrations are not
"zoomable".

4. iBird - There is a free version of this one but I use the "Pro" version.
 The first thing you see when you select a bird is an illustration.  Which
generally aren't diagnostic to the level that Sibley is ... i think the
pictures are donated by artists who don't get paid for their use.  There are
generally a couple of illustrations covering several plumages ... but again
not to the level of Sibley.  The real value of the iBird app is
the additional information and links it provides.  Songs, pictures, link to
Birdpedia (need web access), interesting facts, Ecology (the IUCN Red List
ratings?), a zoomable illustration, link to Flickr for more photos!, and a
list of similar birds.  iBird also has a neat search feature ... You can put
in data for one or all of these features; Location (common), Location
(uncommon), Shape, Size, Habitat, Color Primary, Color Secondary, Backyard
feeder, Family, Conservation Status, Observed State/Month, Song, Song
Pattern, Body Length, Body Weight, Wing shape, Flight pattern, tail shape,
wingspan, leg color, head pattern, breast pattern, belly pattern, back
pattern, crown color, forehead color, cere color, throat color, nape color,
eye color, bill shape, bill length, ear tufts, game bird and order.  Sounds
overwhelming?  Here is an example ... put in Color Primary as Yellow and
Observed State and Month as Ohio and April you get 6 matches: Common
Yellowthroat, Prairie, Prothonotary, Yellow warblers and Yellow-breasted
Chat and Yellow-throated vireo.

Note ... all apps have range maps, and some way to record a life list.
 iBird has notes.

(Side note about me ... I like photos better than illustrations for bird
guides.  That is just me ... I know this is a religious thing for some
people ... that is just me.  When I carried a "real" book I loved
Kenn Kaufman's book for just that reason!)

Here is what I do in the field now ... I go to Sibley first, for songs, and
diagnostic illustrations.  If there is still a question I go to iBird and
look at the included pictures, then follow the Flickr link to more pictures.
 Warning about Flickr ... not everyone who puts names to pictures on Flickr
is always correct!

Hope that helps!  Let me know if you have any questions ... or know of one I
missed!

Side note ... I also use BirdsEye.  BirdsEye connects to the Cornell eBird
database and shows you recent sights of birds and helps you find good places
to bird in an area.  I just got it so I haven't traveled with it yet ... but
I hope it will lead me to some good birds!  You can't post eBird sightings
through it yet though.

Thanks!
Matt