From:
Mark Shieldcastle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 2011 16:50:25 -0400
We saw the beginning of the first wave hit along Lake Erie over night. As
predicted by Kenn Kaufman, we were expecting to see considerable changes in
songbirds and raptors today but are expecting an even bigger push of the
First Wave this Tuesday and Wednesday. At the Navarre Banding Station
(BSBO's primary migration study site) we had a total of 80 species seen or
heard and banded 159 birds with 8 warbler species seen or captured. The
biggest surprises were Great Crested Flycatcher and Northern Parula. The
dominant species were Hermit Thrush and White-throated Sparrow. The other
two major dominants of the first wave, Myrtle Warbler and Ruby-crowned
Kinglet were in lower numbers and may arrive in force next week.

Kenn and I will continue to update progress of the spring migration and you
can follow as the spring unfolds on his Best Bets for Birding at
http://cranecreekbirding.blogspot.com/

We will also be updating (at least once a week) the banding data at
http://www.bsbo.org/passerine/spring_passerine_migration_monitoring.htm

This will give more details on where we are in the migration timing.

While you prepare for your field activities make sure you have downloaded
the maps that are provided to help you find the best places here in the
"Warbler Capital of the World".
http://www.bsbo.org/birding/birding_hotspots.htm

Mark Shieldcastle
Research Director

Black Swamp Bird Observatory

13551 W SR 2

Oak Harbor, Ohio 43449

419-898-4070

 <http://www.bsbobird.org/> www.bsbobird.org
 <http://www.ohioyoungbirders.org/> www.ohioyoungbirders.org
 <http://www.biggestweekinamericanbirding.com/>
www.biggestweekinamericanbirding.com

Become a fan of BSBO & Ohio Young Birders Club on facebook at:

  <http://www.facebook.com/bsbobird> www.facebook.com/bsbobird

www.facebook.com/ohioyoungbirders

Follow BSBO on Twitter: www.twitter.com/bsbobird