From:
Bill Tacon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Tacon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 2011 19:54:24 -0400
When out birding I typically have a point and shoot compact slung around my
neck together with my binoculars.  Have been doing this for about a year,
taking location pictures as well as some of the closer observed birds.
Although I'm primarily a birder, I find I really enjoy capturing images.  So
I've just treated myself to a Nikon D3100 DSLR, with at 55-300 mm lens.  My
objective is to, if I've got time, to photograph what I first view with
binoculars.  I could do with some pointers though.  I'm using the camera set
on auto (yes point and shoot), with  autofocus set to dynamic, center point.
My pictures aren't as sharp as I would like, so help here would be
appreciated.  Also, what should I be doing when taking pictures into trees
with the sky as background?  My images are all under exposed and way too
dark, probably because the metering is taking its reading from the sky
rather than the bird.  I'm sure this is all second nature to you experienced
photographers, but not me.  What articles should I be reading?  I'm sure
there's a ton of great advice on photographing birds.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Bill Tacon

Westerville, OH