From:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 07:37:55 -0400
My mother and I were birding on South Bass Island yesterday afternoon
(Saturday, April 23) when we got a call from Gay Pippert Ladd that her sons
and friends had located an American Bittern in their backyard on South Bass
Island. We went over and got great looks at the bird and Gay has very good
photos. The back of their yard was flooded from the recent rain and the
bittern was feeding on earthworms. The bird continued to feed undisturbed
most of the afternoon and was still there when we left. List below from our
drive around the island. Beautiful display of Dutchman's Breeches on the
island right now. Happy Easter!
Lisa Brohl

Other birds seen:
American Egret
Great Blue Heron
Herring Gulls
Common Loon
Double-crested Cormorant
Red-breasted Merganser
Bufflehead
Scaup sp.
Redhead
Mallards
Canada Goose
American Coot
Turkey Vultures
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Yellow-shafted Flicker
Downy Woodpecker
Black-capped Chickadee
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
Lots of Chipping and White-throated Sparrows
Fox Sparrow (Friday)
Tree Swallow-many feeding out over the lake
Barn Swallow
Purple Martin-returned to alot of island houses
Large Flocks of Common Grackles, Red-winged Blackbirds, Cowbirds, Starlings
American Robins everywhere
Wood Ducks, Hooded Merganser and American Wigeon reported yesterday were not
found.