From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 14:51:41 -0400
The past few days here at our farm have been very wet and muddy. Our part of
Flint Ridge is literally gushing with springs and seeps. I would not begin
to venture forth in anything but waterproof rubber boots. The birds are
loving it, and there have been a few welcome arrivals.

My first Louisiana waterthrush was singing in the deepest ravine Wednesday
afternoon (4/20) while I was out doing some quiet observation along with
pruning back the nasty multiflora rose from our trails. I had been awaiting
this first warbler of spring for some time. Reliably we have one or two
pairs of these elusive but charming local nesters.

During our walk yesterday morning I spotted a pine warbler flitting about
the tangles where the cardinals nest, in the northeast corner part of the
property. During the walk this morning I heard the first of season ovenbird.
It some to be among the ferns in the grove of large tulip poplars.

Today I was out pruning the rose from around some raspberry patches,
prepping them for berry harvest in early summer. This is sticky business,
but an hour today makes the experience in late June less sticky. It is also
a good way to take stock of the birds that nest in the forest edge that
borders our pastures and successional field. While pruning today I heard the
first common yellowthroats of the season, one on either side of the
tributary ridge.

Almost daily I have seen small groups (3 to 5) of kinglets. All have been
ruby-crowned.

There have been a few other warbler-sized birds high in the budding canopy
whose identification has eluded me.

On this morning's walk I saw a flycatcher on the horse pasture fence that
turned out to be yet another phoebe. No kingbirds have arrived yet here.

Both a brown thrasher and a mockingbird are occupying other parts of the
edge habitat. We did not have an overwintering mocker this past winter. We
did for several years. It's always entertaining to have one around, so I was
happy to see it today. No sign of a catbird yet, but they will come.

Friday I was involved in a long (almost four hour) conference call with some
business associates in Pasadena. They had gathered at a friend's house, one
of the associates, whose place I have visited and slept at many times. He
has a resident mockingbird who sings incessantly, day and much of the night.
(It's the city, and the lights are on, to discourage bad people and
encourage mockingbirds.) I could hear him in the background for most of the
meeting. It amuses me when I link the similarities in birdlife in rural Ohio
and urban LA. The mockingbird is versatile in song and lifestyle. Reminds me
of some people.

Meanwhile, back at home: Field sparrows are plentiful. White-throated
sparrows were singing in the rain today. I had a single white-crowned
sparrow on the morning walk two days ago (4/22.)

When water is at full flow as it is right now, the stream in the deepest
ravine sweeps a lot of sediment off the limestone forming 'Valhalla Falls,"
a small cascade over the Upper Mercer Limestone at the eastern boundary of
our 57 acres. This makes the crinoid fossils in the rock visible beneath the
flowing current, a fascinating way to observe the nature and conditions of
300 million years ago. I can only do this during the spring rains, since
when the flow decreases the fossil beds become covered with sediment. This
activity also requires rubber boots, or tolerance of very cold water.

Life is wet, muddy and good!

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County