From:
Michele Skolmutch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 15:07:47 -0400
Hello Birders,

What an incredible early afternoon at Killbuck Marsh! We arrived at the
Willow Road/Clark Road area and was greeted by 9 terns of two different
species! Okay, so there aren't many terns that make their way through my
backyard here in Holmes County, so while hubby was keeping an eye out on
these awesome birds, I quickly "turned" to my Sibley guide to try to
determine what species were frequenting the area. After a bit of
deliberation, we believe them to be Caspian Terns (they were quite large)
and 2 Arctic Terns (long tales and smaller than the others). After
consulting a few other sources, I feel fairly comfortable making this
assertion. However, it would be great if someone else in the area saw these
birds or is able to pay a visit to see if we are on the right track. These
would be life birds for me! Sadly, I did not bring the camera along (of
course!) especially since we were awarded with a lot of great looks!

In addition, we also saw the following at Clark and Willow:
Osprey
Yellow Warblers (heard)
Spotted Sandpiper (2) which we followed up Clark Road and was able to get
some great looks.

Cemetery Road brought the following:
Blue-winged Teal
2 common moorhens

What a day! Glad we didn't let the rain keep us away!

Happy birding,

Michele Skolmutch
between Nashville and Glenmont, Holmes County.