From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2011 14:51:39 -0400
This morning after farm chores Jane and I departed on the morning walk
without my going back to the house to retrieve my binoculars. It turned into
mostly a fitness walk around the farm, but I heard some new sounds.

As we were climbing the hill through the horse pasture I heard multiple
mewings from what sounded all the world like the first of season catbird.
That completes the local mimids on the year list.

The first yellow warbler of the year sounded forth from the forest edge as
we crested the hilltop.

Later, in the woods at the northeast corner, I heard the raspy singing of
the first scarlet tanager.

Wood thrushes are gaining in numbers and song.

Early this afternoon I stole an hour from computer work and slipped out to
clear multiflora rose from a seldom visited trail. This trail is very good
next month for hooded warblers, if what has happened for the past few years
is anything to go on, but they haven't arrived yet. When I finished that
trail work (what we call the ARA Trail) I walked around the successional
field on the tributary ridge. A cheery "feee - bzzzzz" greeted me as I
turned for home. First blue-winged warbler of the season.

Today the weather seems to be mostly to the northwest. We have warm
southwest winds, lots of humidity. The spring beauties and Virginia
bluebells are at their spectacular peak.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County