From:
matt erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
matt erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2011 14:25:54 -0400
All,

First the correction ... I did not see Summer Tanager.  We saw the more
common but no less stunning Scarlet Tanger.  Sorry for the confusion.

I received several replies asking for more specific locations ... so here
goes!

Most birds here are first hear by song ... so get some good recordings and
know what you are listening for ...

*Ed Thomas Cabin Parking Area:*
From the parking area you can usually hear *Yellow Throated Warbler and
Parula.*

Walking west out of the parking lot (notice the porta-potty on your right
... they are also at Creekside Meadows picnic area and really nice bathrooms
at the Valley View Picnic area) there is a service road on your right.

The road runs along a marshy/swampy low area ... on your left you should be
hearing a *Blue Winged Warbler* signing.  You might also hear a *White-Eyed
Vireo*.

*First "Fish"*
As you leave the Ed Thomas Cabin area and head into the park you will pass
the "Leaning Lean" rock ... coming up on your right ... which I think is the
first "fish" symbol on the map is a small area to pull off and a gate.
 Through the gate is a short path to the river.  Anywhere along the river
(from here or any other access) you could see *Louisiana Waterthrush.*
*
*
At the pull off get out of your car and look away from the river and
up-hill.  Strange as it seems I have had *Cerulean* here the last two years.
 Calling from up the hill in the tall trees.

*Cemetery Ridge Trailhead*
Continuing into the park the first trailhead you come to is Cemetery ridge.
 The trail is pretty much straight uphill for the first 100 yards or so (if
you are over 35 it feels like the first mile or so!)  Before the trail makes
a hard right that starts a switchback look for a huge fallen tree on the
right.

For two years I have had *Kentucky* in this area.  Anywhere along the first
100 yards of this trail is good habitat though ... in the morning listen for
the song.
*
*
*Hemlock Trail*
It seems like there should be more in the first part of the trail ... but
the only bird I have heard reliably is the *Black Throated Green.*

*Valley View Picnic Area*
There is a nice picnic area with good restrooms and a nice picnic shelter.
 In the past I have seen and heard *Praire warbler* here but not in a few
years.  I have had *Cerulean* at the picnic shelter and on the nearby Tulip
Tree Trail for several years but not this year.

*The Prairie*
Where the Cemetery Ridge Trail, Chestnut Ridge Trail and the Fern Trail come
together there is a open space in the woods on the hills tops.  I always
hear and see Praire warbler here.  I also usually find Pine warblers in the
tall pines around the edge of the prairie.

Any of the trails into "the prairie" will take you up and down over several
hills ... and they are fairly strenuous.  When you are in the woods and on
the hilltops listen for *Hooded Warbler* and *Ovenbird* ... they will
probably be the most common signing birds you hear!

Also in the trees look for Scarlet Tanager and listen for* Yellow Throated
and Red Eyed Vireos*.

*The River*
Any of the access areas along the river are good for *Parula,
Louisiana Waterthrush,
Yellow Throated Warbler* and any other migrants.

Aways keep an eye in the sky for Black Vultures or other interesting hawks.

Here is a map of the area with trail names ...

http://www.metroparks.net/UserUploads/UserImages/2010/Mapsfrom2010/CLC_map2010x1600px.gif

Let me know if you have any more questions ...

Thanks,
Matt