Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2011 22:52:21 -0400
Went back to Lawrence Woods today to look a little harder for some
Warblers.  I found basically the same as yesterday. with one addition.

List for Lawrence Woods is:

Parulas-at least 6
Yellow-rump >25 w/1 female
Yellow Warbler 2
Palm Warbler >20
Black-throated Green 2
Black and White 1-2

American Redstart was a no show...must have moved on.  Got a great shot
of a Blue Grey Gnatcatcher. and there were 2 Indigo Buntings on the
forest floor.

then I flipped over to the other side of my house and went to Big
Island.  The purpose was to check on the Heron Rookery that is
there...and look for Prothonotarys.

The Heron Rookery that is difficult to get to unless you have waders,
has well over 50 nests with babies. Loud little things! :-D  Sad note,
one branch broke during the last big wind storm and blew down two
nests...there were dead young-uns in them. :-( But that is the way it is.

As expected, the Warbler action was right under the rookery.  The
Rookery is in an Old growth forest with about 12 inches of water so the
area is perfect for Prothonotorys. I have seen them there for the last
three years now, all spring and summer. List is as follows:

Prothonotarys 3-4 probably more, I didn't have time to explore past the
rookery...took an hour to wade back in there. :-D
Yellow Warbler 2
Northern Parulas 1-2 maybe 3 hard to tell, they were flying everywhere.
and they were loud!
Butter Butts (Yellow-rump), EVERYWHERE!! another 20 or so just in the
acre that I was in. there were 1 or 2 females were mixed in.

Soras were scattered throughout the containment ponds...they were
calling out to one another as I was leaving.
One mature Bald Eagle and one immature were at one point trying to get a
baby Heron or two.

Video of Heron Rookery including a Parula and Prothonotary calling:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTRhYhVx8WU

Pics are here:
http://sjlarue.smugmug.com/Unsorted/OhioBirds/16108559_K6usy

And if you want to go to the spot...first watch the video to see what
you are getting into, then get the waders out :-D, and plug these
coordinates into Google Maps: 40.576632,-83.292997.  Have fun and don't
get lost.