From:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2011 16:38:36 -0400
Headed up to Gordon for a peak.
Arrived @ 2:55    60* STRONG WINDS
from the west and hard driving rain.

Upon pulling up to as tight as I could get my
truck against the launch and east wall I saw
the following from that vantage point (while
looking from IN my truck)

1 Eared Grebe - was within 10 feet from shore/corner
3 Pied-billed Grebes - swam from west to east w/in 15 ft from shore
2 Horned Grebes - cruising just a little further out
(all grebes then stayed within a 40 ft circle of each other
and were diving constantly)
4 Lesser Scaup - out near Dike 14 shore
1 Double Crested Cormorant (flew in then swam/dove)
8 mallards
43 Red-breasted Mergansers (about 4 : 1   female to male)

In the field between the lot and Dike 14 were Gulls
     100-ish Ring-billed
     3 Great Black-backed Gulls (size comparison was cool!)
     5 Herring Gulls
     6 Canada Geese

Headed over to west of ICYC to the bay @ 3:05 - 3:10)

10 Horned Grebes (close to west shore by docks)
1 Mute Swan (near corner wall/breakwall)
6 Canada Geese

The wind and rain was ridiculous at this time and
I didn't even peak over the breakwall as the
sideways rain was too much.

buster