From:
Scott Pendleton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Pendleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2011 12:35:41 -0400
It is not too early to start collecting data for OBBAII.
   As if they knew when their safe date began, the ruffed grouse started
drumming in earnest over the weekend. I heard three individuals on a 1.5
mile hike. This is the fifth breeding bird block that I have heard or
flushed multiple birds. Although these numbers are nothing like the grouse-
hunting halcyon days of my youth in the late 70's and early 80's, they are
most certainly a huge improvement over the 90's and 00's. Most blocks
I have spent time in, that have a reasonable amount of habitat, hold
grouse and their numbers appear to increase every year.
   I also noted some breeding activity in species not expected this early
or they at least have a later OBBA safe date. It is important to enter
early activity into OBBA as safe dates are or should be fluid as data is
collected.
   A pair of crows have built a nest in a conifer, a full 30 days before
their safe-date, next to the main street in Cadiz in the middle of the
school bus parking lot. As of today, they have not occupied it.
   I noticed a male Wood Duck this morning nervously hugging the bank of a
woodland pond. Since he did not fly, I assumed there was a female in
the area. I could not locate any suitable trees near him and gave up
finding her when she flushed from a hole in the root ball of a down
tree. Also a  full 30 days before safe-date, she was likely scouting
nest sites (Which breeding code should I use for this one?). It is
notable that she was exploring a site that was a foot above the
ground,this low is unusual but not unheard of. At least it is a short fall
for her ducklings should she decide to stay.
   I watched a raging battle between male purple finches vying for the
highest perch to sing from. The birds settled into their territories
and sang for the entire hour I was in the woods. A full 45 days before
safe date and an uncommon breeder this far south, I will record them only
if they are present next week.
   Finally, 4 Swamp Sparrows(safe date 5/25) were singing in a large
swampy area on Tappan Lake this morning. They are easy to observe,
strongly colored and flashy looking this time of year. A fairly common
winter resident (5 on CBC), they are likely here to stay or have been
around all along. Do they warrent a T7 if still there next week or will
that be a different set flying through?
   For those of you who have muscled your way through this long post, I
hope this generates some discussion on the concept of safe dates.

Scott Pendleton