From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2011 12:17:16 +0000
Greetings birders -
It's that time of the year again. Yesterday, in Montgomery County, Indiana, (northwest of Indianapolis), over 350 (three hundred and fifty) Smith's Longspurs were found. This is a similar latitude to Dayton and Springfield, Ohio.
Bill Whan, where is your concise and persuading annual Smith's Longspur plug? Please send to the list.
In the meantime, I'm working on a "Finding Smith's Longspur in Ohio" article, up to 35 pages now with over 40 photographs of longspurs and habitat shots. Apparently I'd better really hurry up. The article will be available as a downloadable pdf.
April 1st through May 1st is prime time to find Smith's Longspur in Ohio, in western border counties with Indiana. Last year, 13 Smith's Longspurs were found as far east as Wyandot County, on Washburn Road just south of Killdeer Plains (end of April). In 2009, the famous flock of "40" visited Mercer County.
No doubt, there are Smith's Longspurs in Ohio right now.
Extensive cornstubble fields containing FOXTAIL GRASS are prime habitats. Keep in mind that Lapland Longspurs are migrating through right now, as well.
Good luckJen

Jen Brumfield
Cleveland, Ohio
330-701-6452