From:
Scott Hannan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2011 15:24:07 -0400
Located the Black Scoter at Funk Bottoms, thanks  to directions from Su
Snyder;

    -->  From SR 95 in Funk, take  Funk Road south to Wilderness Road, turn
left; go to where the road is roped off  due to the flood.  There are two
very large, concrete pipe structures  there.

To your right, in the group of Lesser Scaup, you'll see him --  the lone
jet-black duck is hard to miss.

Other highlights from my Wayne County Run:

   -- Tree Swallow numbers picking up at Overton  Ponds;
   -- Missed the scoter that was at Overton and  Pleasant Home Rds;
   -- Common Loon in breeding plumage, along Overton  Road south of
Smithville-Western
   -- Horned and Pied-billed Grebe at various ponds  along same;

Funk Bottoms:   Still completely flooded;  95  is now passable; one
pull-off on the north side is accessible;  I didn't  try the gravel road back to
the platform;
       -- Dominated by  Ring-necked Duck (hundreds) and Lesser Scaup
(dozens)
       -- The Eagle Nest  remains, despite the floods below;
       -- Tringa sp heard, presumably yellowlegs;
       -- Few Ruddy,  Gadwall
       -- No more raptors around  (great place for Harrier and Rough-legged
in winter)

Wright Marsh
       -- I whiffed on the Surf  Scoter previously found along the RR
tracks at Willow Road; also checked the  view from Cemetery Road, but still
nothing;
       -- Wood Duck, Northern  Shoveler, dozens of Ring-necked;  American
Coot; Bufflehead; Mute Swan;  Gadwall;  MY FIRST OF SEASON RUSTY BLACKBIRD,
breeding plumage very cool,  singing (not so beautiful) -- at first, sounded
like a House Wren starting into  its song but stalling...then I saw who was
doing the talking;

"Fish Pond" at Kister Road and 226:
        -- handful of  shorebirds I'll leave to the more expert; at least
one yellowlegs;
        -- 15-20 Great  Egrets, and about 15 GBH

Scott H
Wooster (Wayne County)