From:
"Duerr, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duerr, Janet
Date:
Sat, 7 May 2011 20:53:49 -0400
After a glorious morning at Magee and Ottawa, we stopped by Benton-Carroll road to pad our list with some shorebirds.  We were dismayed to find that the two gravel 'driveways' now have plastic barriers across them which are bolted down.  This, in effect, only gives room for one very carefully parked car to fit without being over the line into the road.  Does anyone know anything about this?  If we try and park here, will we get in trouble even if our car is skinny enough to fit?

Anyway, there was a nice smattering of shorebirds here - about 100 Dunlin, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpiper, and a pair of Green-winged Teal (okay, I realize these aren't shorebirds).  We ended the day with 121 species, including many warblers.  (See Gabe Leidy's list for details - we missed the Blue-winged, Bay-breasted, and Chat, but did hear the Prairie, and saw 2 Orange-crowned, Common Yellowthroat, Wilson's, and Yellow).

Janet Duerr & Steve Schafer
Athens, OH (except weekends in May)