From:
Brian Menker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Menker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 May 2011 14:46:14 -0700
Songbird migration is in full swing, but big shorebirds were my highlights today

at the Buck Creek State Park beach near Springfield.  There were 6 Willets and 3

Marbled Godwits sitting near the south end of the beach this afternoon.  I saw
them first around 1:30- 2:00.
The lake is about 16 inches above summer level instead of 16 feet+  like at
Caesar Creek and East Fork so thankfully there is still plenty of sand showing.

 The mega-pipers were associating with Common Terns and a Forster's Tern that
were also sitting on the beach.  The terns moved around more so were harder to
count, but the most I saw at one time were 17 Common Terns and the 1 Forster's.

The willets and godwits flushed with the terns and flew out over the lake before

circling back and landing near where they started.  Not only did that give great

looks at the willets' flashy wing stripes, but also the godwits' beautiful
orangy wing linings. As they flew back the willets were making their
"pill-will-willet" sounds- very cool.
Larry Jeanblanc came about 2:15 and took some photographs.  I may be able to
post some shots for him later.
These birds were still present at 4:20 p.m.when I was leaving to go home.

Brian Menker
Dayton/Springfield