From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 May 2011 13:41:34 -0400
I stopped by shortly after noon, and there were half a dozen or so
birders in the area but no Kirtland's.

I spoke to one couple, and they had heard that it was last seen
yesterday evening NORTH of 960 Kinnear Rd.  That's the first I've
heard of it being north of it's favorite elm tree at 960 Kinnear -- so
it may have move to another location (maybe still in the area, but
maybe not).  I spent some time checking the trees between 960 Kinnear
and the hospital, but only turned up local regulars, a Nashville
Warbler and a very pregnant E. Garter Snake.

The bird has previously spent time in the neighborhood to the south,
so that may be worth searching if anyone goes looking.

A few other birds from this weekend:

The recording of the Kirtland's I made on Thursday can be found here:

     http://soundcloud.com/paul-j-hurtado/kirtlands-columbus-2011

The past two evenings there has been a male Bobolink and a Grasshopper
Sparrow at OSU's Waterman Farm.
     http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5700208592/
     http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5700207502/
     http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5700206158/

Both were heard from just past the headquarters building on the road
back towards the sod farm and woodlot parking area  (zoom in to see
the location on the map in flickr).

While out birding south east of Columbus yesterday, I didn't have
anything too unusual but highlights included a Prothonatory Warbler
along the creek in Gahanna, a Lincoln's Sparrow at Pickerington Ponds
(Wood Duck picnic area):
     http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5700207774/

At the Slate Run MP Wetlands (off Winchester Rd.) I had a pair of
Orchard Orioles, Green Heron, and a calling Black-billed Cuckoo.
     http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5699703481/
     http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5699702951/

Later, I found shorebirds in a flooded field at the intersection of
Lockbourne Eastern Rd. and Cambell Rd. There were 30+ Lesser YL, 7-8
Solitary Sandpipers, Killdeer and 1 Least Sandpiper.  Might be worth
checking periodically if you're in the area.

Good birding,
Paul Hurtado