From:
Sheryl Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2011 22:01:55 -0400
I couldn't make it to Magee today, but I did manage to get out to East Harbor State Park's South Beach trail at about 7 PM.  I was disappointed that I only saw a couple of warblers, but at the second old beach house foundation (about .3 miles down the main paved trail) I got a surprise that more than made up for it.

In the grass of the trail that runs along the water was a Northern Mockingbird.  He was mostly feeding on the ground with some occassional leaps to flycatch.  Also feeding low was an Eastern Kingbird and the two dramatic tail patterns were fun to watch.  There are many Gray Catbirds here at the park and there was at least one in this clearing but what made the Mockingbird sighting even better was when he was joined by a Brown Thrasher!  All three mimids in the same clearing!  The Mockingbird and the Thrasher were in the same field of view for quite a while offering great comparisons.

East Harbor State Park is about 25 minutes or so east of Magee, just east of Pt Clinton.  Maps can be found at eastharborstatepark.org/maps.htm  To get to the South Beach Trail, enter the park and drive straight to the lake then turn right.  There is a gate at the end of the parking area, and a paved road continues past the gate.  As mentioned above, the bird was seen about .3 miles down this trail at the second old foundation area.

Sheryl Young
Sandusky