From:
Kim Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kim Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2011 09:54:39 -0400
BSBO has received a flood of calls and emails today from birders wondering
if the conditions on the Magee Marsh boardwalk are the same as Kenn
described in his post yesterday. Kenn wrote:

"These kinds of exceptional views reached absurd levels on Monday afternoon,
May 16. With strong north winds, the wind chill was probably around 40. The
few insects active were concentrated low on the lee side of the woods, and
the migrants appeared to be very intent on feeding. At the Magee boardwalk,
near the east end, warblers and vireos were foraging at eye level or below,
sometimes perching on the railing or boardwalk itself. Chestnut-sided
Warbler and Magnolia Warbler were particularly abundant, but there were also
good numbers of Bay-breasted, Black-and-white, Tennessee, and other
warblers, and double digit numbers of Philadelphia Vireos. Photography was
almost ridiculously easy, with the main challenge being that the birds were
often too close! I've written before that "In the month of May, more warbler
photos are taken in northwest Ohio than in all the rest of the United States
combined," and no one who witnessed this afternoon on the boardwalk would be
likely to doubt that."

The answer to the question about conditions being the same as yesterday is,
Yes! I just spoke to Kenn and he's on the boardwalk now.  He reports that
the birds are still there in decent numbers and foraging incredibly low and
close. If you have a friend that you've been trying to get interested in
birding, go get them drag them up here!

Good Birding!

Kimberly Kaufman

Executive Director

Black Swamp Bird Observatory

13551 West State Route 2

Oak Harbor, Ohio 43449

419-898-4070

www.bsbobird.org

www.ohioyoungbirders.org

www.biggestweekinamericanbirding.com

www.birdingwithkennandkim.blogspot.com

Become a fan of BSBO and Ohio Young Birders Club on Facebook:

www.facebook.com/BSBOBIRD

www.faceboo.com/OHIOYOUNGBIRDERS

Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/BSBOBIRD