From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2011 02:59:58 +0000
Today -- Sunday, May 1 -- was off the charts in the Magee area of northwest Ohio. If no one has posted about it yet, it's because all the birders who were out there are exhausted from raising their binoculars so many times. At least 29 warbler species were confirmed at the three sites of the Metzger Marsh woodlot, Magee Marsh boardwalk, and Navarre unit of Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge. Numbers were very impressive at all three sites. Yellow-rumped Warblers were most numerous, as expected at this stage in the migration, but there were also large numbers of Nashville and Black-throated Green warblers. (At one point at Metzger, I counted 14 Black-throated Greens in one tree!) At least two Cerulean Warblers (possibly three) entertained birders for hours at Metzger. Highlights at the Magee boardwalk included Worm-eating, Kentucky, and Hooded Warblers, plus Yellow-breasted Chat. Navarre had a female Cerulean and a surprisingly early female Mourning Warbler.

Non-warbler highlights included a good arrival of vireos, with five of the six expected species (I didn't hear about any Philadelphia Vireos, but there may have been some). All five species of brown thrushes were recorded, and several Wood Thrushes were singing at Magee in the evening. Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were numerous -- at the Black Swamp Bird Observatory, Kimberly Kaufman was able to get five males in one photo out the window. Two Blue Grosbeaks, a female and a young male, were on the beach north of the boardwalk parking lot at Magee. Eastern Kingbirds at many sites, Bobolinks near the entrance to Ottawa NWR, and a Merlin at Metzger were among the other sightings. My own oddest bird of the day was a Whimbrel flying over the Magee causeway in the evening; this is an unusually early date for the species.

I haven't looked at the weather in detail yet, but with the sky overcast and the winds shifting to northwest during the night tonight, a fair percentage of today's birds should still be around on Monday.

Kenn Kaufman
Editor, Kaufman Field Guides series
http://www.kaufmanfieldguides.com/
Find us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/KaufmanFieldGuides