From:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2011 09:46:49 -0700
Monday 5/16 at Winton Woods (Hamilton county) I saw Northern Rough-winged, Barn and Tree on the lake, zipping and zigzagging around the banks on the near shore. Many of the Rough-wingeds were perching, but then taking off again. I did not see the Trees and Barns perching. All seemed to be flying well, with no detectable maladies.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope more don't succumb to this problem. Have pesticides been ruled out?

Similarly, last year in the news several hundreds of red-winged blackbirds fell dead or dying out of the sky in Arkansas. Don't know if they found out the cause of that problem.

Incidentally, in the 1980's or 1990's I saw several dead shorebirds, mostly peeps, at Gordon Park in Cleveland. I think it was ruled that the birds had botulism.

David A. Brinkman
Xavier University graduate student
Middle childhood math & science
Cincinnati, OH