From:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2011 18:13:20 -0700
Following up on Jason's report of two BELL'S VIREOS at Kilby Rd. Gravel Pits (Hamilton Co.), I decided to check it out and attempt a confirmation at breeding evidence. I arrived on site at 4:10 p.m. I heard a singing male immediately as I got out of the car and I walked over to the locust tree from which it was singing and immediately found a pair of Bell's. The presumed female was tugging at something under the base of a branch at the trunk of the tree, but I couldn't tell if she was feeding or gathering nesting material. As the male flew off to my left, I heard another singing male off in the trees to my right, at least 30 yards from where I observed the pair. I suspected that this could be yet a third Bell's at this site.

As Jason noted, I also heard the grasshopper sparrows, and had a pair of American Kestrels that seem to be on territory, the female carrying a rodent as she was dive-bombed by grackles and red-winged blackbirds. There were about 10-15 Northern Rough-winged Swallows, 2 Bank Swallows, 1 Barn Swallow and 1 Cliff Swallow, all doing just fine as they flew back and forth, with no signs of weakness due to malnutrition or other causes. None of the swallows were observed landing or perched. I did not have a scope with me, as I came straight from work, so I was unable to find the common loons with my binocs. Other birds of note were yellow warbler, orchard oriole, Eastern meadowlark, gray catbird and field sparrow. I stayed on site for about 20 minutes but I was unable to locate any blue grosbeaks. The Bell's also stopped singing for about 10 minutes, but then resumed singing infrequently.

David A. Brinkman
Xavier University graduate student
Middle childhood math & science
Cincinnati, OH