From:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2011 18:47:38 -0400
A beautiful day at Sandy Ridge with all of the usual, albeit in relatively small numbers. Personal highlights included an OSPREY flyover (hectored by an rwbb) and just minutes later a BALD EAGLE flyover (hectored by an rtha). Later stopped by the BE nest and saw one adult perched; could not see any youngsters from my angle of view.

Other dramatic notables were a MUTE SWAN, a SANDHILL CRANE, and a BELTED KINGFISHER. A few GBHs and GREAT EGRETS were around, but not yet in bonanza numbers. RWBBs were by far the dominant presence. Didn't see GHOs at/near either of this year's nests, though foliage made the nests hard to see. TVs and RTHAs aplenty.

Closer to home, the Highland Park Cemetery RTHAs hatched at least two, but at my last visit only one appeared throughout a long and patient vigil. The PEREGRINES are still around, and WILD TURKEYS seem to be favoring the grounds too.  (Coyotes and Mink live here too, as well as Groundhogs by the hundred and White-tailed deer.)

Out at my folks' place in Russell last week, I had two BARRED OWLS calling across a half-mile distance or so.

Best,
Noah