Date:
Sat, 21 May 2011 00:58:21 -0400
Well, I got a required day off, so I took FULL advantage of.  I decided
to make a day of it, and do something completely different for me...stay
near the house and see how many individual species I could get...my own
big day!  So I limited myself to a somewhat circle of Lawrence Woods on
the West. Killdeer to the North, and Big Island to the East.  The only
feeder would me mine, My goal was at first 50 birds seen and heard, but
changed it to 70 birds after Lawrence Woods ;-D, and It would end at
sundown!  How many did I get...lets find out.

9:00-9:15 My house, list is small...but I wanted to get out of here! :
1. House Sparrow
2. House Finch
3. Pine Siskin....still!

9:30-arrival at Lawrence Woods, and it was the biggest chunk of the
day...I deliberately took almost all day here to completely scour and
had the most time because for one, nearly everything would be there, and
for another...I wanted to get a "knock it off my list picture" of a Blue
Winged Warbler...and the Elusive Nashville (I did ;-D link later)

Here goes the list near to the order of seen/heard:

1. Meadowlark
2. Bobolink
3. Red Winged Black Bird
4.  (First Surprise Of The Day for me [SOD]) Female N. HARRIER
5. Grasshopper Sparrow
6. Song Sparrow
7. Field Sparrow
8. Hermit Thrush
9. Red Bellied Woodpecker
10. American Redstart
11. Canada Warbler
12. Black Throated Blue Warbler
13. Ovenbird
14. Pewee
15. Ruby Throated Hummingbird
16. Great Crested Flycatcher
17. Warbling Vireo
18. Baltimore Oriole
19. Scarlet Tanager
20. Blue Winged Warbler
21. Indigo Bunting
22. Common Yellow-throat
23. Cerulean Warbler
24. Nuthatch
25. Blue Grossbeak (2nd SOD)
26. Nashville Warbler
27. Yellow Warbler
28. Black Throated Green
29. Cardinal
30. Canada Goose
31. Wood Thrush
32. Blue Grey Gnatcatcher
33. Red Eyed Vireo
34. Philadelphia Vireo
35. Robin
36. Parula
37. White Throated Sparrow
38. Eastern Towhee
39. Pileated Woodpecker
40. Downy Woodpecker
41. Blue Jay
42. Turkey Vulture
43. Bluebird
44. Goldfinch
45. Indigo Bunting
46. House Wren
47. Catbird

Next was Killdeer Plains. I got there after 3:30 This was drive by
birding at it's best.  I went here to get the water birds, and Red
Headed WP and anything else that pops up.  I am omitting everything that
was at Lawrence Woods (8 total)

1. Killdeer
2. Eagle
3. Am. Kestrel
4.  Mockingbird
5. Eastern Kingbird (lots of these, almost every place I stopped)
6. Tree Swallow
7. Great Egret
8. Great Blue Heron
...no Stilt...darn!
9. Willow Flycatcher
10. Trumpeter Swans
11. Hooded Merganser
12. Cowbird
13. Brown Thrasher
14. N. Flickers
15. Barn Swallows
16. Mourning Dove
17. Rock Pigeon
18. Grackle
19. Starling
20. Red Headed Woodpecker
21. Swamp Sparrow
22. Red Tailed Hawk
23. Mallard
24. Coot

I checked the list and saw that I was there or close to there,  but I
wanted to take it over the top, and blow it away...just in case I
miscounted ;-D.  So I kept on going to Big Island...It was now 8:30...so
I hurried over to Big Island to the Deck on 95 and then to the end of
the old ponds near the barn. As I had little light left I new I had to
get what I could and go. So in the little bit of time I had it turned
into full bore listening and as much as I could see with the binocs.
Again, duplicates have been removed.  I had 2 SODs here.:
I tried for Sora...no dice.

1. Flyby Pintail Duck at the Deck(3rd SOD...aren't they supposed to be
gone?)
2. Pied Billed Grebe
3. Prothonotary Warbler
4. Common Moorhen
And @ 9:30 as the sun sets over Big Island, I start to head back to the
car to hear the call of the tiny but mighty:
5. Marsh Wren (4th SOD...I would have not even known what it was if it
weren't for the BWIAB and the Ottawa Drive Through Day :-D)

Total for the day: 79, Yipee I beat my goal!!!  Birds missing were the
Wood Duck which was reported to me but I didn't see nor hear, Blue
Winged Teal...I should have gone over to Herr Rd. and Shorebirds I could
have gotten into the mid 80s if I had some of those.  But am I gonna
complain...nope! :-D  Other birds mainly what sounded like flycatchers
were heard but not positively IDed, so they were not included as well.

Pics of the few that I actually took, are posted on my smug page:
http://sjlarue.smugmug.com/Unsorted/OhioBirds/16108559_K6usy

Have a great Weekend :-D

Steve J.