Date:
Sat, 21 May 2011 17:00:37 -0400
Shaune Skinner, Al LaSala and I kicked off the 2011 season for the H.M.S.
Hoover. The H.M.S. Hoover is Shaune's boat, "birders on board" sign and all.
Our  main objective was to monitor Prothonotary warblers in some areas very
difficult  or impossible to access by land. The weather was with us as it
was comfortable  with mild temperatures, light winds and sunny. Today we
covered areas along the  northeast shore from Twin Bridges to Big Walnut Creek.
The day was a  success with 30 Prothonotary Warbler territories identified.
Now I'll cross my  fingers that all of them have a successful nesting
season. Each time I see one  of these beautiful golden-yellow wonders it puts a
big smile on my face. This  marks my 25th year working with them at Hoover
Reservoir and I have loved almost  every minute of it (bee stings, multiflora
rose and tripping in the water  excluded).

Some enjoyable distractions included 8 Red-headed Woodpeckers, 2 pairs of
Green Herons, 2 nesting pairs of Osprey, and an Osprey chasing then dive
bombing  a Bald Eagle, lots of Cliff Swallows at their nests and lots of Cedar
Waxwings. We tallied over 70 species from the boat. It's a different
approach to birding, but lots of fun when done with great company.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve