From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 May 2011 17:50:45 -0700
I went to Chagrin River Park today in Lake Co from mid morning to late afternoon.  I was there so long and didn't have many warblers I am embarrased to say.  There were more seen by others but eight was the best I could do.  I did finally see the Common Moorhen and one of the Black-billed Cuckoos that was previously seen.  Here is some of what I saw:

Wood Ducks
Wild Turkey
Coopers Hawk 1
Common Moorhen 1 (Roz Schrank showed me where it was)
Black-billed Cuckoo 1  (picture)
Great Crested Flycather 1
Yellow Warblers
Magnolia 3
Black-throated Blue 1f
Blackpoll 1 heard only
Black-and-White 1
American Redstart 5
Common Yellowthroat few
Wilsons Warbler 1
Others had Canada, Chestnut and don't know what else
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 2 males
Indigo Buntings common

I saw the Black-billed Cuckoo by accident.  I was sitting on the bench on the path that goes from the deer exclosure to the large planting of pine trees.  I was looking straight ahead into the woods and about 50 feet away I saw a bird go down into the foot high lush green grass and then it landed slightly above it after it found its goodies.  I casually looked at it thinking it was a Thrasher or a Thrush and realized it was a Cuckoo.  It flew up to a small tree and then higher when I went towards it.  Then I was able to see it best from the path high in the tree preening itself for a long while then it landed so I could see it better briefly and flew away.  Also, the Moorhen originally was close to the path down form the steps to the sledding hill but closer to the connector path but with somewhat obstructed views.  Later it was seen from the same path but where you stand very low and close to the water and was straight out 60-70 feet near one of
 the
 "tree islands" in the flooded area.  It was cleaning itself on the brown grassy twiggy area to the right of the tree.  Then later I went back and it was just sitting there.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/