From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2011 08:09:14 -0400
        Yesterday's reports stir me to ask a question: is there a quick
reference somewhere showing the migratory pathways (northbound and
southbound) of migrant birds in eastern North America? Seems to me this
would be of value to the observer, like me for instance, who has not
memorized all these.
        Having some simple illustrations of routes--from the elaborate and
unusual one of the whimbrel, to simpler ones like the ruby-throated
hummingbird--would add a lot to people's understanding of birds that
spend most of their lives elsewhere. The only field guide I know to do
much (but not nearly enough) of this is the Nat'l Geo guide; if you look
at the range maps for flycatchers, small arrows indicate an overland,
not over-ocean, northbound route for olive-sided, yellow-bellied, alder,
and willow. And if you look at reports from yesterday across the state
you will see a pattern. One is tempted to conclude that the nearly
constant presence of heavy rain and violent weather this spring
stretching up the Mississippi Valley from Texas may have delayed birds
that pass through Mexico on their way here, while trans-Gulf migrants
got a free ride, explaining early arrivals for many warblers...here in
Columbus, we had 37 species of these by 9 May this year.
Another inch so far this a.m. in my rain gauge,
Bill Whan
Columbus