From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2011 15:44:16 -0400
Just a cautionary note:

If it were later in the season, the call might not be  diagnostic.
Fledge-year American crows make a call that is indistinguishable (or nearly
so) from that of the Fish Crow.  However, that only lasts a few months -
after that, and before that as well - the call is generally diagnostic.
Size helps, but there is variation in size of American crows, as well.  So,
a combination of size and call, and some other minor distinguishing marks
that I'm not good enough to discern, make the id firm.

In regard to American crows, I'm seeing them carrying food already, so they
do have nestlings, at least.  I'm not sure how long crows stay in the nest.
Smaller birds usually range from 8 to 10 days.  Larger ones presumable take
longer to fledge.  Can anyone with some expertise shed some light on this?
What would be the time frame that immature American crows might be expected
to sound like Fish Crows?

Margaret Bowman
Licking Co., OH