From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 May 2011 23:34:46 +0000
Greetings all -
Just before noon today (Sunday) a KIRTLAND'S WARBLER was heard (ONLY) at the corner of Superior Avenue and 26th Street on the east side of Cleveland, directly across the street (east) of a BP gas station (exit 173). The habitat here is a thick line of trees and brush that borders I-90. The Kirtland's sang twice, and I pursued it for 10 minutes before reluctantly having to go on my way. In the course of the 10 minutes, this small woodlot produced two Yellow-bellied Flycatchers, a Willow Flycatcher, an Eastern Wood-Pewee, three Common Yellowthroats, a female Chestnut-sided, five American Redstarts (females/immatures), two Blackpolls, and a female Black-throated Blue, plus six Gray Catbirds and a Swainson's Thrush.
The bird was heard at least five or six times by I. Krise shortly following within the 12 oclock hour. The bird was NOT seen.
I checked the woodlot again this evening and was met with many of the same species listed above, but did not hear nor locate the Kirtland's.
This goes straight to the top of my most bizarre "sightings", based on location.
Will check the spot at dawn tomorrow.
best of birding - Jen

Jen Brumfield
Cleveland, Ohio