From:
Jeff Grabmeier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Grabmeier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 May 2011 20:54:05 -0400
I had a chance to do some birding in an around Lake La Su An Wildlife area in Williams County today (in the far northwestern corner of the state).

Some of the highlights:

1) I found a pair of Sandhill Cranes along SR 576 counter calling with a distant crane or cranes.  In just a few years, they seem to have built a small population in Williams County.

2) A red-shouldered hawk was seen flying over Lake Sue, still an uncommon sight in the area.

3) Brown creepers were singing in a wooded swamp near Lake La Su An.  They have been breeding here now for the past several years.

4) Single northern parula, yellow-throated warbler and Louisiana waterthrushes were found.  They may all have small breeding or at least summering populations there.

5) A common moorhen and two juvenile hooded mergansers were in a pond along County Rd. S.

6) Henslow's sparrows and bobolinks in several areas along County Rd. S.

Jeff Grabmeier
Columbus