Date:
Tue, 31 May 2011 15:43:11 -0400
This morning we launched the H.M.S. Hoover once again to monitor a few
sections of Hoover Reservoir for Prothonotary Warblers. Both the air and water
temperatures were sizzling. By noon passing 90 degrees was history and the
water  was ready to brew tea. By the time we made land it was a contest to
see who  looked hotter, us or the birds. Many birds were observed perched
with their  beaks open and we also saw Great blue Herons in their cooling off
posture, bill  open and wings folded outward by their sides. This weather has
many birds  looking very stressed.

We worked several of the islands on the reservoir, the inlets at Twin
Bridges and coves along the east shore to slightly south of Windale Farms
Circle. Our reward was locating 16 new Prothonotary Warbler territories and
having several of the males on a show for us perched in the sunlight and
singing away. In the direct sunlight some of the males were extraordinary in the
brightness of their plumage. It's a sight I never tire of. One male flew out
to  the boat and kind of greeted us.

I was surprised when I compiled our observations for the trip to find we
tallied 70 species. However, to temper that statement, many were nothing you
wanted to write home about such as the Rock Pigeons under a bridge. The
Cliff  Swallows under the bridge were much more appreciated. Cowbirds, grackles
and the  like can run up a list rapidly. Quality versus quantity is more
enjoyable  and there were some better species about including Yellow-billed
Cuckoos,  Osprey, Belted Kingfisher at the nest hole in a reservoir bank, a
Common  Yellowthroat that came out over the water to check us out, Great
Crested  Flycatchers and Eastern Kingbirds at their nests.

Now I have to rest up for Thursday when it is predicted to be another
scorcher and I am scheduled to participate in a Breeding Bird Survey. At least
Thursday's activities will be on land in an area with shade.

Charlie Bombaci