From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2011 08:17:50 -0400
APRIL 2011 UPDATE:  On 30 April we reached 201 Franklin County species,
with five more thus far in May, for a 2011 total of 206 (in 121 days).
We are doing very well. With 34 warbler species in the bag, now we
especially need birds of wetlands, fields and grasslands, habitats
getting scarcer as we pave the county. Many of the unrecorded species
are less likely until fall, but new species we can reasonably expect to
see in May remain: bobwhite, least bittern, snowy and cattle egrets,
little blue heron, maybe king rail, golden and semipalmated plovers,
avocet, willet, whimbrel, marbled godwit, semipalmated sandpiper,
white-rumped sandpiper, short-billed dowitcher (other shorebirds more
likely in fall), laughing/Franklin’s gulls, black/common terns,
yellow-billed cuckoo (what’s up?), olive-sided and the two remaining
Empidonax flycatchers, Bell’s and Philadelphia vireos, sedge and marsh
wrens, gray-cheeked thrush, Connecticut & mourning warblers, Lincoln’s
sparrow, dickcissel, and bobolink. Note that observers are unlikely to
encounter many of these species in the haunts of wood-warblers, so get
out and get some sun...if you can find any.

       Total #s-- Jan: 102,  Feb: 6,  Mar: 19,  Apr: 74,  May 5

An almost up-to-date list (it grows daily) is posted on the Columbus
Audubon site at
http://www.columbusaudubon.org/production/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=675&Itemid=216

Thanks to all who've helped,
Bill Whan