From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2011 09:13:04 -0400
        An update on Franklin Co birds, with implications for elsewhere. I can
supply an updated F CO list on request: it currently stands at 215, with
14 new ones this month, the most recent of which was Paul Hurtado's
fortuitous encounter yesterday about 9 AM with a Kirtland's warbler on
campus. At least 50 observers had seen this by the time I left at 11:15,
including OSU's entire ornithology class, which had been meeting at the
Museum just up the street. With two species hoped for still this
month--mourning and Connecticut--we should have all the state's regular
warblers this year.
        Because of flooding, the usual shorebird spots are less than
productive, but the enormous new Darby wetlands (DeLorme 67, A-7 east
side of Darby Creek Dr.) are still productive, with flocks of willets
and black-bellied plovers there the other day. Our current total of
fourteen shorebird species is short of what has doubtless passed through
already. This new spot is still unfamiliar to most observers, but now
there is less need to schlep up to the Lake this spring for them; it
remains to be seen how evident the fall shorebird migration will be here.
        The nearby marsh at Darby Creek Dr and Kuhlwein Rd has been producing
calling bitterns and other marsh birds, too. Vesper sparrows--not a
gimme in the county--are nesting there and nearby. The Bolton Field
airport continues to produce upland sandpipers, by the way, with good
chances they are nesting as in the old days; the "beautification"
project that diminished birdlife there has turned into corn, and some of
the birds are back. In fact, the whole west side of the county should be
productive in coming days, as this is the first area where we normally
see arriving grassland birds such as dickcissels, bobolinks, and certain
sparrows.
Good birding to all,
Bill Whan
Columbus